Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

3 Acre Lot Homesite for Our Owner Builder Project

I went back out to the site to poke around where we are building our home to get some ideas. I told you in the last post that I would tell you a little about the property so here it goes…

It’s 3 acres of land in North Georgia. There is a creek bordering the whole South side of the property. The home site is approximately 25′ higher than the creek up on a hill. There was a mobile home on the property that was removed, so the electric is already run out to the site, there is a septic system, and there is also a working well on the property. There is public water at the street that we can tap into, but we may do that down the road.

It’s been a year or so since anyone has lived on the property, so as you can imagine there is a lot of underbrush that has come up and totally swallowed any grass that was there. My first job will be to rent a brush hog and take out all the brush and saplings that have grown up before I rent a bobcat and start grading.

I talked to a friend of mine, Charlie, who use to pour foundations and grade property for a living. He is coming out to the lot with me this weekend to go over what we need and has offered to help me grade it for free.

My plan, which I have discussed with the county, is to build a 2 car detached garage with a small apartment and move into it while I complete the rest of the house just 15′-20′ away. I have never built a house before, but I have remodeled several homes from top to bottom. I am confident in my skills and being able to follow a plan. Of course I will hire some help for the framing, plumbing, and electrical, but for the most part, we’ll be building our own home ourselves as owner builders.

No comments:

Post a Comment