Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

2 Car Garage with Apartment Plans


After checking with the county, I am going to build a 2 car garage first with a 1 bedroom apartment above it, then live in it while I construct my house. I’m not looking for extravagant garage plans, just a simple structure that will accentuate a similar style cape cod house plan. I am working with a local designer who came up with a first draft last night, seen to the left of this post.

I have to go with a slightly wider 2 car garage plan to meet my county’s 1400 square foot primary structure requirement. I want to build my house and take my time, but I want to get onto the property so I can work on it little by little. It was either choose a 2 car garage plan with apartment or buy a mobile home to put on the property while I build a house. I chose the garage because mobile homes depreciate so quickly. Plus, a 1400 square foot mobile home is huge.

The living area in my garage apartment is not going to be huge, around 650 square feet, but it will give us a place to live while we build and we won’t have to rent. As an owner builder, the whole idea is to save huge amounts of money and get the house you want.

Next step after the plans are completed would be to start grading. I have a bunch of sweet gum trees as well as dirt to move around in order to accommodate the garage.

Thanks for checking out my garage apartment plans. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

1 comment: